AS9120 – Quality Management Systems – Aerospace Requirements for Stockist Distributors – was developed for distributors of aerospace commodity items. This standard addresses chain of custody, traceability, control and availability of records.
Based on ISO 9001, but with nearly 100 additional requirements specific to aerospace distributors, AS9120 provides suppliers with a comprehensive quality system focused on areas directly impacting product safety and reliability.
When a distributor aligns to AS9120, it not only reaps quality and efficiency benefits, but also is better able to meet customer expectations. Registration can also provide a competitive advantage by:
- Identifying opportunities for operational improvements and cost reduction;
- Improved audit and surveillance efficiency;
- Reduced number of customer audits required, and a corresponding reduction in needed resources;
- Enhanced supplier performance due to higher quality, waste reduction, and a customer satisfaction focus; and
- Streamlined documentation.